Back to my August make which was going to be a chambray shirt with McCall's 6436. I made the size 22 with a DD front. I didn't really look at the hips because I thought they would be fine but when I tried the shirt on it was too tight across my hips. My vision for this shirt was a loose jacket type shirt. So sewing stalled, confidence gone and doubt and disappointment appeared. What to do? I'm still deliberating. The shirt is actually a little too large across the bust, so next time I would go down a size there and then increase the hips or try to decrease my hips, a much harder option than adding a bit of fabric to the sides.
|Not a great photo sorry. The shirt is quite tight in the hip area but the bust is great.|
One thought was to cut off the top part and leave that, then add an insert into the lower part front and back so it becomes more of an A line or add gathers into the bottom section. I do have some fabric left over but not enough to make a whole new back and front. Either of those options would work unless someone else has a fabulous idea.
I haven't had much success lately so I need to have a hard think about what to do next. My shirt from my workshop I think will be better.