Search This Blog

Sunday, 28 June 2015

Mother of the Groom dress

 I have been sewing like crazy. I started making a dress for my sons wedding and it looked boring and like a sack, so at the last minute, ( a week before the wedding, CRAZY) I dashed down to Tessuti's and fell in love with a silk floral fabric.  I love silk but find it difficult to sew. I took out Simplicity 2549 and decided to use this pattern.  Luckily I have started my  holidays but of course had house guests and my daughters boyfriend from Canada decided to move out here, I was pretty stressed but I was really happy how the dress turned out.
The top part is a navy lace over a plain navy that I bought at The Fabric store. The bodice is lined and the sleeves are unlined.
The bottom half of the dress is the most beautiful silk. I just fell in love with it.

I did a 2inch full bust adjustment and lengthened the bodice by a couple of inches. This meant the back was a bit long but I did need it at the front. Then I extended the pattern for the cap sleeve to create 3/4 sleeves. I didn't quite know how to do this but it turned out. I wanted to use as much of the silk as possible so I did pleats from the band under the bust. These were a huge pain but I'm glad I made that change. I also lined the lower skirt,  this gave it body. The end result made me quite proud of myself. I felt good and more importantly I felt comfortable. The lace was a pain to sew because it was corded and the silk was slippery but I love a challenge.
With my gorgeous man.

The happy couple, my handsome son and his beautiful new wife. It was a wonderful wedding so full of love and happiness.

                                                      Happy Sewing!